Saturday, October 3, 2009

Girls Empowerment

Last week I had the pleasure of going up north to a fellow pcv's site and participating in a day of Girls Empowerment. WE had eighty girls attend and participate in the workshop style activities. The day consisted of four different sessions all led by different female pcvs. The sessions included HIV/AIDS, goal setting, paper bead making, and how to make a re-usable menstrual pad. I taught the re-usable menstrual pads to the girls and each girl made their own. This is second time I have worked at this type of workshop and I really enjoy it. I hope to be performing the re-usable menstrual pad workshop at my site very soon. It is truly amazing to see how much more confident these girls become when they are armed with information they believe. I feel that my biggest contribution during my service here in Uganda will be the work I perform with young girls and women. Encouraging them to seek higher goals other than the culturally expected norms. As well as empowering them to choose their own future and giving them the hope that they can actually achieve their dreams;)

No comments:

Post a Comment