Saturday, October 24, 2009

The monkey and the boys

So this past week I saw another monkey by my house. I was walking back from the school down toward my house and here is this monkey in broad daylight eating the white ants. For those who don't know about white ants, they are a particular breed of ant that flies out of the hill. White ants are considered a delicacy here in Uganda. Anyway, so I am getting closer to this monkey and he is paying no attention to me at all, he is just trying to catch these ants. While I am debating whether or not to dash to my house and get my camera, a few of the primary school boys finally notices this monkey. When they realize this monkey is eating white ants, the boys come running and screaming at the monkey to scare it away. Once the monkey has fled back into the jungle, the boys set about catching and eating these white ants. this sort of scene is something that is quintessential Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment